Moody Music Building Use Policies
Use of the Moody Music Building is governed by building use policies of The University of Alabama, the College of Arts and Sciences, and the School of Music. Use of any space in the Moody Music Building for a non-University event requires the approval of the Director of the School of Music and may require the approval the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and/or the Provost or President of the University.
Generally, spaces in the Moody Music Building may be used for events that are congruent to the missions of the University, the College, and the School of Music. Regularly scheduled University classes, examinations, and concerts have the highest priority and cannot be cancelled, moved, or rescheduled for other events.
Smoking is not permitted in the Moody Music Building. Food and drink are permitted only in the student lounge area on the second floor and in faculty offices.
The Moody Music Building is open for business during specific hours on specific days of the year. Current hours are posted on outside doors (generally, the building is open from 7 a.m. until midnight on school days). Entering the building during times when the building is closed may constitute criminal trespass. The building is always closed to students on days when the University is officially closed.
Practicing in the Moody Music Building
- Practice rooms in the Moody Music Building are restricted to use by students enrolled for music study at The University of Alabama.
- Windows on practice rooms may not be covered at any time.
- Students may practice in practice rooms or in spaces assigned by instructors. Students may not practice in the performance halls, in the hallways, in the classrooms, in the basement, or on the outside grounds of the Moody Music Building.
- Some practice rooms are reserved for use at specific times by the Community Music School. Other practice rooms, particularly rooms with grand pianos, are reserved for use by specific groups of students and must be signed out. Reserved use times are posted on practice room doors.
- Any student may leave a practice room for up to ten minutes without being evicted. After ten minutes, another student may occupy the room, and the new student may deposit the original student’s property outside the room.
- A student assumes financial responsible for damage to any University property that the student damages through inappropriate use.
- UA music stands are restricted to use in performance halls, rehearsal halls, and faculty studios/offices.
- UA stands are not permitted in practice rooms or classrooms.
- UA stands may not leave the Moody Music Building.
- Music students are expected to have their own stands as necessary.