The goal of the University of Alabama Percussion studio is to prepare students for the professional world of the working musician through a diverse curriculum. The percussion program at the University of Alabama consists of a “total” percussion approach where students will gain experience in all styles of music and learn all the major percussion instruments. Equal weight is put on snare drum (concert and rudimental), mallet keyboard percussion, timpani, drum set, hand drums and accessories. A “real world” approach is taught which will provide students with the ability to survive in the music world either as a player, teacher, composer, arranger, manager, therapist and more.
- University of Alabama Percussion Ensemble
- Chamber Percussion Ensemble
- Mallet Orchestra
- The “Rolling Tide” Mallet Ensemble
- African Ensemble
- The University of Alabama “Million Dollar” Marching Band
- MDB Drumline
- MDB Front Ensemble
- The University of Alabama Bands
- Wind Ensemble
- Symphonic Band
- Concert Band
- Campus Band
- The Huxford Symphony Orchestra of The University of Alabama
- The University of Alabama Jazz Ensemble
- Jazz Combos
- Other Chamber Ensembles such as playing percussion in the Contemporary Ensemble, Brass Ensemble Tuba/Low Brass Ensemble, Crimson Slides and more.
Students present solo recitals as part of the requirements for their degrees. Undergraduate majors must also appear on student convocations presented weekly in the Concert Hall or Recital Hall. All percussionists participate in music ensembles, both large and small. Ensembles present concerts at regular intervals. Percussion majors enroll in pedagogy and literature classes appropriate to their area of specialization.
- BM Percussion Performance
- BM Jazz Studies Performance
- BM in Music Therapy (Percussion Principal)
- BS in Music Education (Percussion Principal)
- MM Percussion Performance
Percussion Audition Information:
For complete and accurate information on how to apply and audition for the School of Music, please go to the appropriate page (Undergraduate or Graduate Studies) located at the left. For specific audition requirements for percussion, please download one of the following:
Undergraduate Jazz Studies Drum Set Audition Requirements (Info is under Instrument Specific Details Section)
For any additional information regarding the percussion studio, please contact one of the faculty members listed below.