top_tabs University of Alabama College of Arts and Sciences

Consideration for admission to the University of Alabama School of Music requires 1)  application to the University of Alabama and 2) an audition for School of Music. Links to the UA application and the SOM audition request form are below:


All students must audition for School of Music faculty before being admitted.

Million Dollar Band

Much information about UA’s renowned marching band, the Million Dollar Marching Band and various camps, may be found at their website.

Instrumental Ensembles

Information about other instrumental ensembles, including the Alabama Symphonic, Alabama Wind Ensemble, Huxford Symphony Orchestra, Alabama Jazz Ensemble, and others can be found on the Ensembles page.

Vocal Ensembles

To learn more about our many vocal ensembles: University Singers, University Chorus, and UA Opera Theatre please see our Vocal Ensembles page.

Transfer of Credit from Alabama Colleges and Junior Colleges

A student who plans to transfer credits from an Alabama state college or junior college must read this document, which describes the official policy.

The University of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog

How is College Different from High School?

[Off site] A helpful document from Southern Methodist University.

Preparing for Courses in Music Theory

All freshman music majors are required to enroll for MUS 115 Theory I in their first semester. The theory faculty recommend that students acquire at least the basic musical skills listed below before entering MUS 115.

  1. Using treble and bass clefs, be able to read and write notes on the staff.
  2. Be able to quickly identify and write signatures for all major and minor keys. Know the relative and parallel minor of each major key; know the relative and parallel major of each minor key.
  3. Be able to quickly identify and write all major and minor (natural, harmonic and melodic) scales.
  4. Be able to write and identify major, minor, perfect, augmented, and diminished intervals. Know the inversion of any interval.
  5. Be able to write, clap, and count simple rhythm patterns.
  6. Be able to sing major scales using letter names or scale-degree numbers.
  7. For students who have experience in sight singing and ear training, practice singing and dictating simple diatonic melodies. Practice singing major and minor scales in all keys.

Information regarding note reading, key signatures, scales, and intervals can be found in most theory texts. If you plan to study a theory text to acquire skills beyond those listed above, we recommend Harmony and Voice Leading, 2d ed. (New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc. 1978) by Edward Aldwell and Carl Schachter.

Undergraduate Transfer Examination in Music Theory

All transfer students who wish to receive credit for music theory courses taken at other institutions are required to take a placement examination. The examination, which is given one or two days before the beginning of each term, includes but is not limited to the following.

  • Melody harmonization in chorale style
  • Diatonic and chromatic harmony and part-writing
  • Roman numeral/figured bass analysis
  • Figured bass realization
  • Analysis of form

Special emphasis is placed on the music of the common-practice era.

Students take one of two examinations, depending upon the number of course hours they wish to transfer. One test draws upon materials covered in the first two semesters of the core music theory sequence at the University of Alabama and consists of portions of the final examinations from those semesters; the other draws upon materials covered in the third and fourth semesters of that sequence and consists of portions of the final examinations from those semesters.

In preparation for the examination students may wish to review one or more standard undergraduate textbooks. We recommend the following.

Part-writing and Analysis

Harmony and Voice-Leading, Edward Aldwell & Carl Schachter. New York: Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, 1989. This is the textbook used in the first four semesters of the core music theory sequence at the University of Alabama, and is the one we most strongly recommend. The table below lists the chapters covered in each semester of that sequence.

Semester 1 (MUS115): chapters 1-10; 20, 21
Semester 2 (MUS117): chapters 11-19; 23, 25, 26
Semester 3 (MUS215): chapters 22, 24, 27, 28, 29
Semester 4 (MUS217): chapters 30-32

Other texts that cover essentially the same material include Allen Forte’s Tonal Harmony in Theory and Practice and Robert Gauldin’s Harmonic Practice in Tonal Music.

For those who feel the need to review the rudiments of music we recommend Scales, Intervals, Keys, Triads, Rhythm and Meter, a programmed text by John Clough, Joyce Conley, and Claire Boge, published by Norton.


Form in Tonal Music, Douglas Green
Form in Music, Wallace Berry


Complete information about each program may be found in the University of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog:

Also available: opportunities for non-music majors

School of Music Course List

The University keeps its schedule of classes online at MyBama.



The School of Music offers the Bachelor of Music degree in performance; students choose a major instrument from the following:

  • bassoon
  • cello
  • clarinet
  • euphonium
  • flute
  • French horn
  • guitar
  • harp
  • jazz studies
  • oboe
  • organ
  • percussion
  • piano
  • saxophone
  • string bass
  • trombone
  • trumpet
  • tuba
  • viola
  • violin
  • voice

ConcertStudents majoring in performance present solo recitals as part of the requirements for their degrees. Undergraduate performance majors must also appear on student convocations presented weekly in the Concert Hall.

Performance majors participate in music ensembles, both large and small. Ensembles present concerts at regular intervals.

Performance majors enroll in pedagogy and literature classes appropriate to their area of specialization. Undergraduate performance majors enroll for study in a secondary instrument, usually piano, as well.

Students enrolled in other degree programs in the School of Music may also enroll for private performance study with the faculty.

The School of Music also offers the Master of Music and Doctor of Musical Arts degrees in performance.


Composition and Theory

The School of Music offers the Bachelor of Music degree in composition and in theory. See the Composition and Theory page for more information.


Music Performance with emphasis in Jazz Studies

The School of Music offers the Bachelor of Music in performance degree with an empahsis in Jazz Studies and Music Media. See the Jazz Studies website for complete information.


Music Therapy

The Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy degree is the only music therapy program in the state of Alabama. Graduates are eligible to take the board certification examination given by the Certification Board for Music Therapists.

Music therapists acquire employment in a broad range of health-related settings. The design of our music therapy program is to prepare students to work with many different populations and to become proficient and versatile musicians. After courses have been finished, a music therapy major completes a six-month, full-time clinical internship. The Capstone Association for Music Therapy is a student organization for service projects and fellowship.

Prospective music therapy majors audition for the School of Music and for scholarships in the same way as all other music majors. The Program Director is Dr. Carol Prickett. See the Music Therapy website for more information.


Music Education

Complete information can be found on the Music Education website.

The undergraduate program in Music Education at the University of Alabama offers degree programs in instrumental and vocal/choral music. Both of these programs lead to the Bachelor of Science degree in Education, and the student who completes either of these programs can qualify to receive the Class B Professional Certificate for teachers with certification extending from kindergarten through high school (K-12).

The School of Music also offers the Master of Arts degree in music education, the Education Specialist degree, and the Doctor of Education in Music Education degree.


Music Administration

The School of Music offers the Bachelor Arts degree in music administration. Music majors can choose to combine their interest in music with an understanding of the business of arts management. In addition to music courses, students take courses in accounting, economics, sales, mass communication, and administration. Students also gain practical experience working in a box office, promoting events, and managing concert halls.


Bachelor of Arts

The School of Music offers the Bachelor of Arts degree in music. The degree is designed for students who intend to pursue advanced degrees in musicology, music librarianship, or music theory and those for whom a general liberal arts curriculum is more appealing than the highly specific curriculum of the B.M. or B.S. degree.