To enroll as a music major or minor in the Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Science, or Bachelor of Arts degree programs in the School of Music, students must:
(1) be admitted to the University of Alabama; and
(2) audition successfully for the appropriate faculty member(s) in the School of Music; and
(3) show fundamental competence, including the ability to read music, on a diagnostic exam given at the time of audition.
In lieu of (2) and (3) above, any student intending to major in composition must submit a portfolio of compositions, and any student intending to major in theory must submit a writing sample and a statement of career goals.
Auditions occur in the studios and performing spaces of the Moody Music Building.
The audition must include three works of contrasting style that exhibit musical and technical difficulty appropriate to college music study. For singers, the undergraduate audition program should demonstrate the potential understanding of the classical vocal style (i.e., three art songs in the classical style with one (minimum) sung in a foreign language.)
Auditions in more than one area are discouraged.
Students should plan to spend at least a half-day on campus for an audition. On audition day, students will have the opportunity to meet with various members of the faculty and staff and to tour the facilities. Parents will have the opportunity to meet with members of the faculty and administration. In addition, the student will take a Music Fundamentals Diagnostic Exam.
Students who cannot audition in person because of distance from campus may audition by submitting a recorded audition. Recorded auditions must follow the same format as live auditions and must be recorded on a compact disc, a high-quality audio cassette, VHS format video tape, or DVD. Recorded auditions must be accompanied by a completed audition application with “Recorded Audition” written at the bottom. Arrangements must be made for completion and submission of the Music Fundamentals Diagnostic Exam.
Scheduling an Audition
Spring 2014 Audition dates for ALL AREAS:
- Saturday, January 11, 2014
- Monday, February 17, 2014
- Saturday, March 1, 2014
Spring 2014 Audition dates STRINGS:
- Thursday, February 13, 2014 (attending All-State Orchestra ONLY)
Fall 2013 Audition dates VOICE:
- Monday, October 28, 2013 (attending Honor Choir ONLY)
Spring 2014 Audition dates for WIND/BRASS/PERCUSSION:
- Thursday, February 6, 2014 (Honor Band ONLY)
To audition, students must submit an audition request by regular mail or online and contact the above indicated instructor or area.
Forms must be received two weeks before the audition date to guarantee a place.
You can go through our new partner GetAcceptd, click the link below and submit your digital audition.
To inquire about late admission, contact the Director of the School of Music.
Students who audition for admission will be considered automatically for all available music scholarships. However, admission to the University of Alabama must be granted before a scholarship can be awarded. The School of Music has its own scholarship fund, distributed as follows:
- The School of Music makes awards according to performing or creative talent.
- Awards can carry any amount up to full tuition.
- Awards are restricted to students enrolled as music majors in the School of Music B.M. or B.S. degree programs. Students in the School’s B.A. programs are not eligible for School of Music scholarships.
- As per University policy, the amount of a music scholarship may be reduced should a student receive other scholarship awards from The University of Alabama.
Further information about the School of Music can be found in The University of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog, by calling the School of Music, or by exploring this web site.
School of Music
The University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0366