See below for University Singers audition information. To learn about all of the other University Choirs, click here.
Comprised of the finest vocalists at the University of Alabama, the University Singers is the premier vocal ensemble of the School of Music. University Singers is open to all UA students, undergraduate and graduate, regardless of major. Membership is by audition only. Open auditions take place in the fall of each year and members are expected to make a yearlong commitment. This ensemble provides a challenging and exhilarating environment for voice majors and talented choral enthusiasts. University Singers performs a wide variety of repertoire, including significant contemporary works, spirituals, world musics, and masterworks of the historic choral canon.
University Singers has performed three times at the internationally-renown Spivey Hall of Atlanta, Georgia. Major works have included the Brahms Ein deutches Requiem, Orff Carmina burana, Verdi Requiem, Bach Johannes Passion, Britten’s Cantata misericordium, and Duruflé’s Requiem. University Singers have been included in concerts with Ward Swingle, James Earl Jones, Della Reese, and William Warfield, have made two recordings of the 40-year tradition, Hilaritas, three premieres of choral pieces at the SCI 1992 National Conference, and an appearance at the 1994 Southern Division ACDA Convention in Knoxville. University Singers and the UA Wind Ensemble, under the direction of Dr. Kenneth Ozzello, premiered Hollywood composer/orchestrator/arranger Ira Hearshen’s commissioned composition, ENTERPRISE, in 2008 to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the devastating tornado that killed eight Enterprise High School students. Two performances were given to packed houses. The first concert was for the Enterprise High School students and their families, and the second for the community at large. The concert was covered by the Weather Channel, the Associated Press, local and state television networks, and was aired nationally.
Auditions for the 2016-2017 University Singers will be held Sunday August 14th through Tuesday August 16th in room 167 of the Moody Music Building.
HOW TO AUDITION
- All UA students are welcome to audition for University Singers, regardless of major.
- Sign up for an audition time at this website: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f4dada72ba5fb6-university
- Choose a time by checking a “Sign Up” box, and click “Submit and Sign Up.”
- You do not have to create an account. Simply enter your name and email.
- Prepare for your audition (see below).
- Show up 10 minutes before your time.
- Audition will last approximately 5 minutes.
- Audition results will be emailed Tuesday evening August 16th to all who audition; they will also be posted on the bulletin board directly across from Room 167 in the Moody Music Building.
- After audition results are posted, make sure you are registered for the correct ensemble.
HOW TO PREPARE
At your audition for University Singers, you will do the following:
- Sing an excerpt, not to exceed one minute in length, of a prepared solo of your choice. This solo should be in a comfortable range and demonstrate your ability to sing expressively. Please bring sheet music; an accompanist will be provided.
- Sing your voice part of an excerpt from the 2016-2017 choral repertoire. The excerpt is provided in this google drive folder (link below). This is your opportunity to demonstrate your individual preparation skills.
- Sing three vocal exercises at indicated tempi and with noted articulations. These are also in the folder (link below).
- Sight read a short, simple melodic exercise.
All audition materials can be found here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzALh72IB_fsNzlBWXpPUEoxWXM&usp=sharing
For a sample of some of the repertoire previously performed by University Singers, click here.