See below for University Singers audition information. To learn about all of the other University Choirs, click here.
Choir Placement Sign-Up Form 2020-2021: https://forms.gle/45KaqB4ZgCS39pEHA
University Singers is the premier vocal ensemble of the UA School of Music. This advanced choir consists of music majors as well as talented choral enthusiasts from other academic disciplines across the University of Alabama. University Singers performs a wide variety of repertoire, including significant contemporary works, spirituals, world musics, and masterworks of the historic choral canon.
Under the direction of Dr. Amir Zaheri, the University Singers has a renewed mission for outreach, with recent performances in Birmingham, Huntsville, Montgomery, and Starkville, Mississippi. In addition, four members were selected to perform in the 2017 National Collegiate Honor Choir at the American Choral Directors Association National Conference in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Continuing a tradition of excellence in the performance of choral masterworks, University Singers recently performed the Bach Missa Brevis in A Major, Bernstein Chichester Psalms, and the Mozart Requiemwith the UA Huxford Symphony. Previous major works have included the Bach Johannes Passion, Brahms Ein deutches Requiem, Britten Cantata misericordium, Duruflé Requiem, Mendelssohn Elijah, Orff Carmina burana, and Verdi Requiem.
The UA University Singers has performed three times at the internationally-renowned Spivey Hall of Atlanta, Georgia, and they have been included in concerts with Ward Swingle, James Earl Jones, Della Reese, and William Warfield. They have made multiple recordings, premiered choral pieces at the Society of Composers National Conference, toured South Korea, and appeared at the Southern Division Conference of the American Choral Directors Association.
Auditions for University Singers are held annually in August before the school year begins, and then again in January as needed to fill any openings. All students are welcome to register with no audition for Women’s Chorus, University Chorus, and Chamber Choir. For audition questions, please contact Dr. Amir Zaheri.
HOW TO AUDITION FOR UNIVERSITY SINGERS
- All UA students with music reading skills are welcome to audition for University Singers, regardless of major.
- This year, all UA choral students must sign-up for a Choir Placement time during the first few days of class.
- If you would like to audition for University Singers, your Choir Placement meeting time will serve as your audition.
- Fill out the “Choir Placement Sign-Up Form 2020-2021” (see above); make sure you fill out section 4 to be considered for University Singers.
- Make sure that you put your name on the “Choir Placement Time Sheet 2020-2021” (linked at the end of the Choir Placement Sign-Up Form). If you are not able to attend any of these times, please contact Dr. Zaheri to arrange an audition time.
- Prepare the choral excerpt for your audition (see below).
- Show up 10 minutes before your time.
- Audition will last 5-7 minutes.
- Final audition results will be emailed/ posted.
- After audition results are posted, make sure you are registered for the correct ensemble, whether it is the University Singers, or one of our other awesome choirs. See below for details.*
HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR AUDITION
- Sing the prepared excerpt. You will sing the excerpt unaccompanied. The key area, beginning pitch, and tempo will be given. Instructions for each voice part are as follows:
- S – measure 4, b. 3 through measure sixteen, b. 1
- A – measure 8 through measure 23
- T – measure 20 through measure 33, b. 3
- B – measure 1 through measure 14, b. 3
- Sight read a short, simple melodic exercise.
- You may or may not also be asked to sing additional vocal exercises (like a choral warm-up) to assess range.
*AFTER YOUR AUDITION
If you are selected for University Singers, please add MUA 163/263/363/463/563 to your schedule ASAP. Section 001 is for 1 credit. Section 002 is for 0 credit.
If you are not selected (or even if you are!), please join one of our other wonderful choirs– we would love to have you sing with us in as many choirs as will fit your schedule. Register for the level that corresponds to your year in school (100-Fr, 200-So, 300-Jr, 400-Sr, 500-Grad). No audition is required for any of the other UA University Choirs, simply register:
University Chorus (MUA 162/262/362/462/562)**
Women’s Chorus (MUA 168/268/368/468/568)**
Chamber Choir (MUA 164/264/364/464/564)**
** For 100-400 levels of each choir, section 001 is for 1 credit, and section 002 is for 0 credit. The 500 (graduate level) only has one section for 1 credit.